Saturday, July 28, 2012

We're Packed!

Just finished packing for Europe.  Our flight to Venice, our first stop, leaves tomorrow night from JFK in New York.  For the three week trip through Venice, Sorrento, Rome, Orvieto, Munich, Paris, and Disneyland Paris each of us will be carrying one backpack.  Lori and I have airline carry-on size Rick Steves convertible backpacks.  Abby, our 9 year old daughter is carrying my internal frame hiking pack. Michael, our 6 year old son will be carrying a Pacsafe backpack which will serve as a daypack on longer day trips.

Our Travel Bags
While I didn't keep track of exactly everything that Lori packed, or the kids' clothes, here's my packing list:
  • 4 wrinkle-free, lightweight, fast drying travel shirts
  • 2 moisture wicking t-shirts
  • 2 cotton t-shirts and 1 pair of athletic shorts (for sleeping - I don't wear PJs)
  • 1 pair of Adidas super lightweight, wrinkle free Climalite golf pants 
  • 3 pairs of shorts
  • 6 pairs of Exofficio underwear 
  • 3 pairs of socks
  • 1 bathing suit
  • Eddie Bauer Rain Jacket
  • two money belts 
  • leather sandals
  • a pair of sneakers
  • a few packs of Woolite and a rubber sink stopper
  • a travel clothesline
  • my Nikon D90 w/ 18-55mm VR lens, battery charger, and 16 GB memory card
  • a backup 4 GB memory card
  • iPad, earbuds, and charger
  • cheap sunglasses (sure to be dropped in some body of water by the end of the trip)
  • 1 extra large super-absorbant travel towel
  • Seabands for motion sickness
  • 2 extra brown buttons
  • travel sewing kit
  • 2 European outlet adapters
  • German, French, and Italian to English Phrasebook
  • Photocopies of relevant travel guide sections
  • Pacsafe Metrosafe 200 cross-shoulder bag
  • Passports 
  • Photocopies of passports, credit cards and insurance card
  • 50 Euros in cash
  • Combination travel lock
  • Printed out point-to-point train tickets and Eiffel Tower tickets
  • Ziploc bag of toiletries, medications, brush, and razor
Mike's Stuff
I know that I can probably get away without bringing both cotton shirts and the sneakers, but I want to be able to get a few runs in if I have the time since I'm running the Philadelphia half-marathon in November.  I'm not going to stress about it, though.  I've been training well and even with a 3 week break I'll have plenty of time to be prepared for it.  

On the plane, I'll be wearing a second pair of Adidas pants, a Eddie Bauer moisture wicking polo, and a pair of Keen Newports.

I wish that I had room for a zoom lens, but they are too heavy and large.  I don't think I would have used it as much as the 18-55mm lens, but I'm sure there will be times that I wish I had it.  

If there's anything else we find that we need, we'll pick it up over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment