Monday, July 2, 2012

Perfectly Parisian Pastries Near the Boardwalk

As I mentioned in my last post, my wife and I have been spending a week or two in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware every June for well over a decade.  Our children have grown to love our time at the beach as much as we have.

Cafe Papillon on Penny Lane
During the long, cold Pocono winters when we beging thinking of our next beach vacation in Rehoboth, we always seem to have the same conversation about one of our favorite things to do in Rehoboth.  And while we all love playing in the ocean, walking on the boardwalk, biking through the state park, and enjoying time on the beach, the conversation has nothing to do with any of those things. 

We talk about what pastries and crepes we are going to order at Cafe Papillon.  

My favorite - Spinach and Cheese
Tucked into a pedestrian alley about a half block from the boardwalk, this outdoor French creperie and pastry shop has become every bit a part of our beach vacation as the ocean and the sand.  Our routine on each day of our vacation has become to walk or bike into town from our rental house at 7:30 so that we can be one of the first in line for just-out-of-the-oven croissants or made-to-order crepes.  

Chocolate Almond Croissant
Each of us has our favorite croissants.  I love the spinach and cheese, although I make a point of getting a taste of the sweet cheese croissant and chocolate almond croissant sometime during our stay.  Up until this year my children always loved the chocolate croissant, although after sharing a chocolate almond with me this year and tasting the marzipan inside, my daughter seemed to prefer that one.  My wife loves the raspberry and sweet cheese.  

The crepes are equally spectacular, regardless of whether you are in the mood for sweet or savory.  As someone who grew up in New York eating bagels and lox, one of my favorites is the salmon, egg, and cheese.  You can also get crepes with different fruits, whipped creme, chocolate, and/or Nutella.  Our friends that usually join us enjoy the banana, sour cream, and brown sugar crepe.  

Abby and a friend sharing a Cinnamon and Brown Sugar Brioche 
I honestly can't say enough good things about Cafe Papillon.  The most negative thing I can say is that with only a week it's tough to find enough days to try everything you want for breakfast (although they are also open for lunch, dinner, and dessert if you aren't morning people like we are.)  Others we've met while eating there have told us that the pastries, crepes, tarts, and other goodies here are as authentic as those in Paris.  One of the things we are really looking forward to doing in Paris in August is having a chance to compare.

Getting ready to order at the bakery window




No comments:

Post a Comment