Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Kids Are Excited for Europe

Both my 9 year old daughter and my 6 year old son are excited about the trip we have planned to Europe this summer.  We'll be flying to Venice from New York for just a night (a 24 hour stopover there was the same price as a short stopover in Rome), then spending 6 days in Sorrento, 2 1/2 days in Rome, a day in Orvieto, 4 days in Munich, and 3 days in Paris before ending our trip with three days at Disneyland Paris.
Image:  www.tablespace.net

Since both my wife and I are teachers, we naturally wanted to make sure that this trip is a learning experience for the kids as well as a great vacation.  I'm hoping that introducing them to different cultures will open their eyes a bit and allow them to realize that people in other places may do things differently.  And that "different" doesn't mean "wrong."

To build their excitement and make the trip more personal for them, we are going to have them learn about some of the places we will be visiting and have them share what they find.  Our daughter has her own blog where she'll be sharing what she finds.  She just finished a post on the Eiffel Tower tonight. (She's always excited to get comments!)  At dinner she told me she wants to learn and share about the Basilica San Clemente in Rome next.

Our son is really interested in volcanoes, so he is excited that we're going to the top of Mount Vesuvius.  He wants to draw a picture and write a bit about what he learns underneath his drawing.  I'll take a picture of it and post it here when he's finished.

2 comments:

  1. Michael... somehow I knew there had to be a Disney connection to this trip! :-) When you see Disney Land Paris you are going to be amazed at how small it is... now remember I have only seen Disneyland and have never been to Disney World and I thought it was small! I love your passion for Disney and for learning and I left a comment on your daughter's blog too. I am very excited for all of you as you embark on this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks so beautiful! I love Italy so much- it's such a stunning country
    plan Europe trip

    ReplyDelete